To use HKUST Career Center , please enable JavaScript in your browser settings, and then refresh this page. Career Center | The HKUST
For Employers
Recruiting Non-local Students
Home / /

To increase Hong Kong's attractiveness as a regional education hub, the Immigration Department of HKSAR Government announced in May 2008 the implementation of measures which allow full-time non-local students (except exchange-in students) to take up employment during and after their study program.

  • Employment during Study

    Under the new measures, eligible non-local students will be issued a "No Objection Letter" (NOL) upon approval of entry or extension of stay applications that allows them to take up part-time on-campus jobs and/or summer jobs during their program of study.

    On-campus jobs

    Only designated operators on HKUST Campus can offer part-time on-campus employment for non-local HKUST students. In order to be listed as a designated operator, HKUST on-campus operators should complete the NLSE Form B and send it back to Career Center for registration. The maximum number of working hours for such type of employment is 10 hours per week during term time and 20 hours during the winter break.

    Summer Jobs

    Any part-time or full-time job that takes place from June 1 to August 31 falls into this job category. It is the most flexible type of employment with no restriction on work locations and job nature.

    Study-related Internship

    Subject to approval by respective Schools and Departments, eligible full time degree-seeking non-local students who are not exchange-in students may take up study-related internship which normally falls in the period from September 1 to May 31. The work location can be anywhere in Hong Kong. Given that NOL for this type of employment has to be applied on a case-by-case basis after the offers have been made to students, employers have to allow some time for students to get the study-related Internship NOL ready. Click here for more details.

  • Employment after Study

    Non-local students who have obtained an undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited local program in Hong Kong may apply for staying/returning and working in Hong Kong under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG). With IANG, non-local graduates may take up graduate employment without the need for a working visa. Click here for further information.